Author Topic: DB for frenzy skill  (Read 717 times)

Offline Bebbo

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
DB for frenzy skill
« on: June 14, 2022, 09:49:02 PM »
playing in RM2 I was just wondering on how the DB for frenzy works and how people have run it, the skill states that "you have no DB other than the armor bonus, get no shield bonus, and cannot parry" Now with armour not providing a bonus and the quickness bonus being used for DB is that bonus counted? or with non-magical armor will a frenzying pc have a DB of 0?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: DB for frenzy skill
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 10:00:49 PM »
With non-magical armor, your DB would be 0.

Note the Rolemaster Companion IV offers an alternative rule for Frenzy that allows characters to have some DB when they are stunned or forced to parry. This is section 5.5, p. 29. The rationale is that Frenzy as originally written just isn't very effective compared to Adrenal Strength, Adrenal Speed, Haste, etc., and that characters that use it don't have a very long lifespan.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 03:25:35 AM »
As a GM that had a Bashkar in the campaign I ran for a decade or so, DO NOT tweak Frenzy(far from RoCoIV’s update as mentioned above or Arms Companion) for those that say they get more out of Adrenals.

Yes, they do: because it is controlled and also because it only takes 20% prep rounds to try to initiate.

That said, I always allowed a roll on the MM table for the resulting Frenzy skill roll to see if even a reduced or less than 100% result could be rolled under(second roll) to allow Frenzy to kick in or if the PC was just standing there foaming at the mouth “like a true Berserk”!

===

Frenzy is like the Background Option in ChL for Werebeasts vs the “gentile” version in RoCoI where it is the “Bestial, Psychotic type” of the Self-Control skills. 
It is the awesome image of Vikings/Barbarians we all have in our minds!

My using of the optional rule was allowing Qu to be folded into the OB of Berserkers(as RoCoIV / Arms Companion) and they were always Dex-monkeys!  This meant they were almost always going first in INIT which meant their first opponent was always **PASTE** after x2 damage was dealt on full OB swings.

That is the key to Frenzy - it is for the fast fuggers; not slow, glacial ones.
If they’re slow(ie. no Quickness or in AT20/Plate), they need to use the Adrenal skills instead.

=====

…and don’t ever coddle the Frenziers!

They’re choosing that skill on purpose for the Munchkinism it allows - make them RP the results of that choice when they’re rolling 50% chances on hitting their own friends vs actual foes on failed Perception checks after dropping that first enemy they engage…you know, the one right next to them that was shoulder-2-shoulder with ‘em.

They’ll make fast friends or hateful enemies within their own group because of it, and won’t use Frenzy every instance until they’re VERY skilled in it, for being able to come right back out of it!
That or have their party prepared with Calm I spells knowing most Berserkers dump stat their IN/EM/PR Realm Resistance stats, LOL.

Offline Vladimir

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 01:53:53 PM »

…and don’t ever coddle the Frenziers!

They’re choosing that skill on purpose for the Munchkinism it allows - make them RP the results of that choice when they’re rolling 50% chances on hitting their own friends vs actual foes on failed Perception checks after dropping that first enemy they engage…you know, the one right next to them that was shoulder-2-shoulder with ‘em.

They’ll make fast friends or hateful enemies within their own group because of it, and won’t use Frenzy every instance until they’re VERY skilled in it, for being able to come right back out of it!
That or have their party prepared with Calm I spells knowing most Berserkers dump stat their IN/EM/PR Realm Resistance stats, LOL.
  Exactly. Frenzy and weres draw the people who want to cheese the system and has always resulted in at least a party member killed or the party killing the player. Stealth and range weapons have proven to be effective.
  I believe superior items can have similar bonuses as magic items, it you are willing to pay the cost.
When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu