Author Topic: Changing Size, Shape, and Merging  (Read 754 times)

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Changing Size, Shape, and Merging
« on: May 26, 2022, 11:43:35 PM »
I was thinking recently about the rules governing spells that change a character's size, shape, and ability to merge with other material, primarily in regard to how they affect a character's possessions and equipment. Rather than starting a discussion from scratch, I searched the forums for any previous topics that might have covered these scenarios.

I found this topic that talked about the relationship between size and mass, originally about an errata in Combat Companion, but later about how it might relate to other publications.

I found this topic that talked about personal equipment and familiars and auras, and primarily how they are affected by shapechanging and teleportation.

I found this topic that talked about playing a giant character and the considerations of sustenance and just interacting in a non-giant world.

None of these seemed to directly address the questions I had in mind (and I had no interest in necroposting on topics from 10-15 years ago), so here we are.

To start with, I scoured the RM2 books for spells that deal with these changes. I found about a dozen spells that simply increase or decrease the caster's size, about 20 spells that allow merging with or passing through materials, and over 100 spells that change the caster into some other form, either with or without the abilities of that other form.

For the size change spells, they all use Shrink Self and Enlarge Self from the Closed Essence Living Change list as a guide. This means that the change is listed as a difference in mass, but "height in most situations." The changes vary as either +/-50% or +/-10%/level, depending on the strength of the spell, with usually a floor of 90% reduction ("usually" because the Dervish base Changing Dances list doesn't specify). No mention is made in any spell description of what happens with personal items or equipment.

For the shape change spells, the vast majority of spells list the change as a difference in mass, anywhere from 1/2-2x to 1/40-400x ("vast majority" because the Ranger base Nature's Guises list says a change in "size", but that seems to be an outlier). The larger range (1/40-400x) spells are the Arcane Shapechanging Ways and Druid base Nature's Forms lists from RMC1, and various Doppelganger lists in RMC7. (For this category, I also include Waterform, Mistform, Mote Form, and Flattening spells.) No mention is made in any spell description of what happens with personal items or equipment.

For the merging spells, the only mention of personal items is a tangential one coming from the 50th level Mystic Hiding True spell, which is a combination of Merge, Unpresence, and Nondetect (which covers objects on the caster's person).

As my findings relate to the previous-linked discussion on size vs. mass (including the excellent tables on page two of that topic), I would posit that the intent of the original definitions of the Size Change spells really did mean "height" and were meant to achieve a greater potential amount of volumetric change because they only involved the existing body of the caster (hence why they were listed as "height in most/normal situations", which could result in much more than an equivalent change in mass because 2x height = 8x mass while 2x mass = 1.26x height). The spells with the greatest amount of change (10%/level) are only tenth level (Closed Essence Enlarge and Dervish base Growing Whirl).

On the other hand, I believe the Shape Change spells really did mean "mass" and would necessarily be limited to a smaller change in size for the lower spells because of the extra magic required to change the form of the caster. So the spells that go up to a 400x change in mass (not 400%, mind you, which is only 4x) would include whales and dragons and are anywhere from 20th-50th level (Arcane Shapechanging Ways and Druid Nature's Forms). This is further reinforced by the description of Druid Beast Change True mentioning dragon breath as a special ability.

As to the second linked topic about auras, the only mention I could find in RM1/2 that seemed relevant was in the "Assumptions and Special Notes" sections of the 1981 and 1984 editions of Spell Law. There it mentions:

"20) Unless otherwise specified, a spell which affects the target also affects the object he carries. An exception may be made for certain unusual items. When computing the effects of an Elemental Attack Spell, however, always make a distinction between the target and the items he bears; simply follow the appropriate results on the tables."

Curiously, while several of the other notes in this section were rolled into the 1989 edition of Spell Law (red band), the content of this note was not. And, while RMSS and RMFRP Spell Law did have a section on "Changing Spells," this only was to clarify the physical or special abilities that the caster did or did not receive of the new form, and made no mention of items or equipment. The most helpful bit in later editions is found in RMC Spell Law. Though it technically wouldn't necessarily apply to RM2, it does make sense of it a bit better:

"Each living or animate thing is surrounded by an aura, their personal field of essence, which casters manipulate to create effects. This field also enables beings to resist effects. [...] This aura is also why casters can use attack spells on beings, but cannot attack with utility spells, and why your personal gear resists with you, rather than being separately attacked by all effects. Since your clothing and gear is inside or in contact with your personal aura, it receives a certain amount of shelter from effects. This aura also explains why "1 target" effects like a teleportation will grab the target, and all of their clothing and equipment, rather than whisking them off naked."

Now, putting these things together, it seems reasonable that normal items and equipment would be incorporated into the effects of these spells. Thus, all of your stuff would merge into a stone wall with you, or grow or shrink in proportion to the rest of your body, possibly resulting in a 4-foot-long short sword(?!). I'd guess the "unusual" items might be intelligent or especially powerful, such as artifacts or potent items, but would that also include intermediate things like mithril chain mail? It'd be kind of awkward to attempt one of those spells and either be blocked from merging or having your body be distorted around things that don't move with you.

Am I way off with any of my thinking here, or have I overlooked any points?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Changing Size, Shape, and Merging
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 10:21:55 AM »
That's a very deep dive into the history of these spells, and I agree with your conclusions.

I don't remember any talk of 'auras' in early Spell Law (though I haven't done a deep dive, so I would be happy to be corrected). I think you are right that this was added later to help explain how items are affected by spells.

By 'unusual' items I tend to think of very unusual things. So I think your Mithril chain shirt should merge with you -- I think it should be only very exceptional items that would not merge. And when I try to think of a specific thing that shouldn't merge, I have a hard time coming up with one.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 12:32:47 PM »
I would say
- any item that *does not want to* (items with a will of their own)
- any item that has intrinsically anti-magic properties (items including kregora, for example)
- any item that is bound to someone else.

If I were slightly evil, I would say that any magical item that requires attunement would be excluded from a character's aura if the character has not attuned themselves to the item... it would make a certain amount of twisted sense :)

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 01:01:25 PM »

That's a very deep dive into the history of these spells, and I agree with your conclusions.

I don't remember any talk of 'auras' in early Spell Law (though I haven't done a deep dive, so I would be happy to be corrected). I think you are right that this was added later to help explain how items are affected by spells.

By 'unusual' items I tend to think of very unusual things. So I think your Mithril chain shirt should merge with you -- I think it should be only very exceptional items that would not merge. And when I try to think of a specific thing that shouldn't merge, I have a hard time coming up with one.
I agree with the overall summary - great research work - and Hurin's thoughts. For me "unusual things" would be intelligent magic items, artifacts, and perhaps a familiar, if it was somehow more intelligent than the average familiar.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 03:20:50 PM »
Actually, I'd say one's clothing and equipment may only merge / morph / whatever with the owner if made from unstable molecules! :)
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 05:14:20 PM »
I think generally you should assume that clothing and equipment changes with the target. If the spell had the side effect of leaving them unequipped, or dead as their now-too-small armor chokes them, that's the sort of thing that ought to be explicitly noted in the spell description. We likewise assume, without being told, that (for example) Teleport brings your equipment with you.

These are generally type U spells, which means they will not work on targets capable of resisting. That could include an item with its own will, and certainly an item in someone else's possession (e.g. you grab someone else's weapon, but they are still holding onto it). But I think other non-willed magic items would generally be affected.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster