Author Topic: Adventures  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Cpt Tiberius J. Krik

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Adventures
« on: May 16, 2022, 10:03:16 AM »
Are there any recommended adventures for a GM and group new to Rolemaster Classic? I'm beginning to think Rolemaster might be my favourite RPG system and I really want the first few sessions to be fun.

We'll be using Shadow World / Jaiman.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Adventures
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 10:37:29 AM »
One thing Rolemaster lacks is the classic, D&D style module, with boxed text for GMs to read to players and an itinerary of encounters/adventure areas step-by-step. On the other hand, Rolemaster has much greater depth of setting: they provide much more detail on the region, its politics, the wildlife, the powers of note, the distinctive herbs, stats for town guards, etc. So, take the setting books as just that, rather than adventure books.

However, there have been attempts to create starter areas:
--One of Terry's most recent settings, Tales from the Green Gryphon Inn, gives details for an area that can be a starter town (Gryphonburg, in the Rhakhaan Empire). It has lots of ideas for adventures (though again note that they're not quite done in the same detail as a D&D adventure).
--The 4th edition of the Master Atlas (pp. 110 ff.) fleshed out the area of the Bay of Izar as a potential starter area as well.
--The module Quellbourne (northern Jaiman) has the town of Kelfour's Landing that works as a starter area.
--Many other modules will give details on adventures in their regions, and some have further areas that serve as good starter areas.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 10:49:11 AM »
One thing Rolemaster lacks is the classic, D&D style module, with boxed text for GMs to read to players and an itinerary of encounters/adventure areas step-by-step. On the other hand, Rolemaster has much greater depth of setting: they provide much more detail on the region, its politics, the wildlife, the powers of note, the distinctive herbs, stats for town guards, etc. So, take the setting books as just that, rather than adventure books.

However, there have been attempts to create starter areas:
--One of Terry's most recent settings, Tales from the Green Gryphon Inn, gives details for an area that can be a starter town (Gryphonburg, in the Rhakhaan Empire). It has lots of ideas for adventures (though again note that they're not quite done in the same detail as a D&D adventure).
--The 4th edition of the Master Atlas (pp. 110 ff.) fleshed out the area of the Bay of Izar as a potential starter area as well.
--The module Quellbourne (northern Jaiman) has the town of Kelfour's Landing that works as a starter area.
--Many other modules will give details on adventures in their regions, and some have further areas that serve as good starter areas.
Thanks for this, all copy and pasted!

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 01:19:46 PM »
See if you can get Tales of the Loremasters.  It's available on Ebay for a good price.  Also, if you are starting in Jaiman, the book Norek can be used as a starter area.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 04:32:25 PM »
Are there any recommended adventures for a GM and group new to Rolemaster Classic? I'm beginning to think Rolemaster might be my favourite RPG system and I really want the first few sessions to be fun.

We'll be using Shadow World / Jaiman.

Of all the supplements for Shadow World, Quellbourne is my favorite.  It has a nice set of adventures you can easily put into a campaign as large or as small as you prefer.  The Spider Worshipers of Hrassk are so much fun!
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 02:19:58 AM »
Thanks all for the advice

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 03:12:07 AM »
Agreed, Quellbourne is a fav of mine, too.

Norek was awesome as a starting point that I had my players rotate around, with Guff being an easy contact for worldly knowledge and Dehl the Barmaid great for local gossip.

Many lower level adventure hooks in Norek.
Otherwise, convert any and all D&D modules and attach names of Shadow World cities and locales to them.

Ancient ‘Dungeon Magazines’ are somewhere out there and always valuable for quickie filler adventures.

Offline Mercenary30

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 02:08:37 PM »
Tales of the Loremaster I and II.
Cyclops Vale

Those three have lots of detailed stand alone encounters that can be used as filler.

The Orgillion Horror was always a fun one for me.

I also agree with the above mentioned ideas.
'I think he just earned his money,' I whispered to the gaping Jad, 'and be so kind as to close your mouth.'  -  Kalen Avanir

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 10:04:14 AM »
I think Tales From The Green Gryphon Inn (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/146797/Shadow-World-Tales-from-the-Green-Gryphon-Inn is an excellent starting point. It has a detailed location, full of NPCs to use and several adventure seeds. Not fully fleshed out adventures, but enough to get you going. They also link to form a mini-campaign, if you want.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline luzbel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 10:46:30 AM »
I really like Norek for a campaign starter. Quelbourne is another really good book.
 ;D

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 11:05:53 AM »
…and just in case, some of these suggestions are available within the Fantasy Grounds / Steam store, ready for importing into the best Rolemaster VTT.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/535830/Fantasy_Grounds__Shadow_World_Tales_from_the_Green_Gryphon_Inn_RMC/

Offline peojon

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 07:02:53 AM »
I really like Norek for a campaign starter. Quelbourne is another really good book.
 ;D
Interesting! Have you ever expanded on the mini-campaign that is in the Norek book?