Author Topic: Temp and Potential Stats  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Cpt Tiberius J. Krik

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Temp and Potential Stats
« on: May 11, 2022, 08:16:22 AM »
If you're unlucky to have, for example, a score of Temporary 26 / Potential 26 in one Stat, you cannot increase that stat, ever?

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: Temp and Potential Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 08:36:39 AM »
Rules as written, that is correct. But, a GM can do anything.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 08:43:18 AM »
It might not be relevant, but in the Rules As Written, a 26 roll for potential results in a 39 as the potential stat (Character Law and Campaign Law, red band edition of 1989, table 15.1.1 'Stat Potential Table', p. 38).

You could have a 26/26 if you rolled a 26 for temporary and then 20 or less for potential, though, which is the case here I believe? In that case, yes, Peter is right, there is no way to raise that.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 09:31:38 AM »
I think I'm going to ignore that rule. Hopefully, there's no knock-on effect with other rules.

Thanks for clarifying.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 10:14:31 AM »
I can't think of any particular knock-on effect, other than your characters having a little easier time getting higher stats.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 04:04:33 PM »
Stupid question incoming...

I think I've been spoiled by Pathfinder, but, what does a player do if they have a character with a really low Stat that cannot be improved? Assuming the player doesn't want to play that character, what are the GM's options (other than rerolling that value - because that feels wrong somehow)?

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 04:58:17 PM »
Well, I've been spoiled by Pathfinder too.  But to answer your question: by the RAW there's nothing to do but roll up another character.  That's the RAW.  Of course, rule zero applies: the GM can overrule the rules.  Have him reroll his potentials, maybe he can get a different set.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 05:46:40 PM »
Yes, once the character is created, there isn't any way to change that. However, there are many ways to roll stats. The default RM2 rules allowed characters to assign stats as they wished, and to replace the lowest one or two with 90s if they were prime stats. So that's really where you can give the player a chance to address that stat, or put it in a stat that won't hurt the character.

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 05:49:04 PM »
Yes, once the character is created, there isn't any way to change that. However, there are many ways to roll stats. The default RM2 rules allowed characters to assign stats as they wished, and to replace the lowest one or two with 90s if they were prime stats. So that's really where you can give the player a chance to address that stat, or put it in a stat that won't hurt the character.

Yes, that's right.  You can put your two lowest rolls in your prime statistics.  Then you can elevate them to 90s, since a PC is a fine example of his profession.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 04:27:47 PM »
Stupid question incoming...

I think I've been spoiled by Pathfinder, but, what does a player do if they have a character with a really low Stat that cannot be improved? Assuming the player doesn't want to play that character, what are the GM's options (other than rerolling that value - because that feels wrong somehow)?

Simple.  Drop that number into a stat the PC will probably not use too often based on profession.  A fighter type, put it in Empathy.  Mage type, put it in Strength or Con, or (assuming not an Archmage) Presence, Empathy, Intuition, Self Discipline.  If Elves can have a -20 or -25 to SD, a 26 for a stat isn't much worse.

There are also chance on the Skill at Arms and/or Skill at Magic background tables that give hefty bonuses to stats, for example, +20 to Intuition.

One dud of a stats was never an issue for us in RM2.  It was part of the PC's personality and the players just worked with it.  If worse comes to worst, offset the challenge by buying lots of ranks in whatever skill is impacted by the low score.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 03:07:06 AM »
All of the above, or do the usual D&D thing and make magic items/potions that bump one’s stats with a free Potential reroll on the chart.

That or old school Gauntlets of Ogre Power that “turns one’s Temp stat to a ‘19’” from 5e, or a ‘95’ in RM parlance.