Author Topic: ERA - Why is there a DP cost for Stat Gains?  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA - Why is there a DP cost for Stat Gains?
« on: March 25, 2022, 11:03:35 PM »
Hi all,
I was reviewing the leveling up process with ERA and I noticed that when you level up, there is an option for Stat Gain.  When I tried to use it to roll for all my stat gains for all 10 stats I noticed it was using DP's to purchase it at 8 points a stat?! I dont remember this being in the Standard Rules or in RMFRP rules.  Can someone help me out with WHY it is doing this? and can I turn this off?
Thank you!!!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: ERA - Why is there a DP cost for Stat Gains?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 01:00:00 PM »
RMSR page 62, you can spend 8 DP for an *extra* stat gain. It's not clear whether this should be an option for level advancement (vs only for character creation), but I suspect given how fast you reach potentials in RMSS that it's never actually a good idea anyway.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 01:47:53 PM »
You should get a box for free stat gains on every level up, and then if you press the "Stat Gain" button during a level up, you get the dialog that charges you for the additional rolls, according to the rule jdale indicated.

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 07:17:05 AM »
This is for RMSS/RMFRP rules. Please help clear up a little confustion I have, is this the progression for stat gains?
Creation:
1) Pick adolescence
2) Pick Background (and if stat gains are chosen) then roll for all 10 temps/pots stat gains? (or is it just for one stat?), mind you, this can be done twice, so at level 1 you could be close to maxed Temps?
3) Total up and spend DP's

Level up:
1) Roll stat gains for all 10 temps/pots
2) Total up and spend DP's
3) If a training package states that you get a stat gain, do it then but do not apply any new DPs to that level of purchases

Please let me know if I have this correct.

Kind Regards
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 08:05:02 PM »
Hmmm, you are right in that purchasing a stat gain roll for all your stats using Background options does not have a clear moment to be applied in ERA.

During level up, you get the dialog to roll for gains on all your stats.
When purchasing a TP, you get a dialog to roll for the stats that are affected.
While sending DPs, you can click the button to be charged 8 DP for each gain.

So, if you need additional, free of charge, pre-level up gains obtained by spending a BO during creation, there is no way to do it automatically.
You'd need to roll outside of ERA and manually change the temporaries before leveling up.
You could use the Stat Gain option to help you determine the new values, then cancel the level up and edit the stats manually.