Author Topic: Guidelines for home software  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Guidelines for home software
« on: February 22, 2022, 02:15:48 PM »
Hi.

I am currently working on a tool for generating random treasures, using RMSS' Treasure Companion. My goal is to produce a system in French and English (and the possibility to add further languages, but that's far from done), with a natural syntax engine to produce clean and syntaxically correct text. It's as much a tool for my games as a mean to show what I can do.

Right now, it's on my computer in a WAMP environment and the plan is to move it on a test server, protected by a password so I'll be the only one able to access it.

I'd like to know what the guidelines about such home projects are. Should I limit its access to my players, myself and potential employers, or may I make it public?

Offline Boromir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Guidelines for home software
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 03:00:55 AM »
I think the policy is to contact @Colin-ICE for sign-off on such tools.  See https://ironcrown.co.uk/about/work-with-us/.

There's one built in to ERA, btw.

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 03:25:39 AM »
I completely missed it.

Thanks.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 07:47:50 PM »
ERA would definitively benefit from more tutorials  :-\

In the meantime, know that you can roll for treasures and get a summary by doing:
- From the main window after starting, choose "Generate treasure"
- Choose a starting table. If you have purchased the corresponding treasure book module the more general "Treasure Code" will be selected.
- Make the choices and roll or use the random roll button, or do all random rolls by clicking on the "Complete Remaining Rolls" button
- Click on the "Summarize Treasure" button to get a compact description of the result of all rolls and subsequent rolls

Let us know if that helps.

Of course, if your intention is to code your own project, all the power to you.

If you would benefit from a more in-depth explanation on how the /ERA/RMC|RMFRP/Configuration/Treasures/*.treasure.XML files work, we can also help with that.

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 04:36:23 PM »
ERA would definitively benefit from more tutorials  :-\

In the meantime, know that you can roll for treasures and get a summary by doing:
- From the main window after starting, choose "Generate treasure"
- Choose a starting table. If you have purchased the corresponding treasure book module the more general "Treasure Code" will be selected.
- Make the choices and roll or use the random roll button, or do all random rolls by clicking on the "Complete Remaining Rolls" button
- Click on the "Summarize Treasure" button to get a compact description of the result of all rolls and subsequent rolls

Let us know if that helps.

Of course, if your intention is to code your own project, all the power to you.

If you would benefit from a more in-depth explanation on how the /ERA/RMC|RMFRP/Configuration/Treasures/*.treasure.XML files work, we can also help with that.

I missed  your kind answer. So, thanks.

I am coding this as an exercise and to showcase what I can do with automated natural syntax.
Also, for example, the tables for gems from RMSS/FRP Treasure Companion and those for crystal catalysts in RMSS/FRP Essence Companion do not correspond. Some stones don't use the same name, and it's, all in all, quite incomplete. So, I will also do my best to fix that. I'll do an excel spreadsheet and post it here, if it does not contradict the rules.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 06:06:55 PM »
Whether any work you do contradicts the rules is for Colin and/or Nicholas to determine.
I'd suggest checking with them before starting any project involving heavy work, since it wouldn't be nice to know afterwards that it was against ICE rules.