Author Topic: 10 - Long Door  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Dalewarrior

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
10 - Long Door
« on: February 01, 2022, 09:07:00 AM »
10 - Long Door I (F) As Leaving I except caster may pass through barriers by specifying exact distances. If the arrival point coincides with solid or liquid material, the caster does not move, he is stunned 1-10 rounds, and the PPs for this spell are expended.

I once had a warrior mage who was facing a dragon. He Longjumped to the dragon's head and won Initiative and I gave him +20 skill ranks in Ambush that were added to the critical roll. I should have put on a cancel magic spell on the part of the dragon, but I think it was to easy. How do you handle Longdoor in your games?
Cheers,
DW

Offline Dalewarrior

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: 10 - Long Door
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 04:41:43 AM »
Hello!
My main question to other players and GMs was whether a Long Door should give the target a surprise, no DBs and free ambush skill ranks. Maybe only an Orientation/Perception check to see if those modifiers spring in.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 08:49:15 AM »
In RM2, I think an orientation roll would be required. RM2 really seems to like those orientation rolls.

I wouldn't give ranks in Ambush, but I would give surprise, position, and no Quickness DB bonuses if the orientation roll were successful.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 09:56:00 AM »
I wouldn't give bonus ambush ranks. It might permit them to use their ambush skill that otherwise they would not be able to use.

In RMU, canonically these spells are loud (except for the magent version) so they aren't too good for this purpose. I think that was an optional rule in RMSS and probably it doesn't say anything about it at all in RM2.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 10:38:58 AM »
The Precision talent (from RMSS Talent Law) allows to "make an Ambush manoeuver every time you attack with a melee weapon". This is exceedingly deadly at higher levels, even at half-ranks (because of use during combat).

I'm not sure there is a rule in RMSS about transportation spells being especially loud beyond the casting itself (and in any case, there are ways around that as well).

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 11:02:01 AM »
... and probably it doesn't say anything about it at all in RM2.

Not that I recall, no. The spell descriptions in Spell Law did not say anything about loud sounds that I can find.

I actually really like the way RMU adds the loud sound. It makes sense from a realism point of view, but it also helps with balance. My players really liked the old 'Fastball Special' technique of having the mage teleport the Rogue behind the BBEG's back, and it was so deadly... they came to appreciate how OP it was, though, when the BBEG did the same to them. So I like the fact that you now at least have a warning pop that tells you you need to check your six.

I also like the way RMU does something similar to invisibility, but that's another topic.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Vladimir

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 03:20:03 PM »
As a GM I don't allow people to teleport in and take an immediate action without some form of orientation check. If the PC teleports into a blind spot, they will have time to get their bearings and move as normal but if they teleport facing the wrong direction and take longer for orientation than needed before their opponent reacts, that's just part of the risk of abnormal movement.
When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu

Offline damage

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 09:15:24 PM »
I require an orientation check on arrival in most cases. I also don't allow any form of teleport spell to change the caster's facing in any way. I do rather like the idea of long door etc. creating noise, might add that in.

Regards,

- David.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 12:31:52 AM »
I personally don't mind having silent teleport spells, invisibility without fringe effect (except in dusty or rainy environments), and other things. I don't mind that the players feel their characters are powerful because they can cast extended spells and stack them before they strike. It's part of the fun.

A group of flying, invisible, silenced (cast on a small item they carry, of course), mindlinked PCs that just teleport into the target's stronghold. Of course you can. Of course it is efficient. Of course it becomes part of your standard procedure.

Don't mind if some people already know how it works because they also know a couple of things about magic.

Don't mind if I use it as well.

Sometimes, I think it's good to adopt the John Wick style of game mastering.

Say yes. Make it part of the world.

Then let them realise they got exactly what they wished for.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 07:40:01 AM »
An Orientation test on arrival for the caster of the Long Door, and an Orientation/Perception check for the foe seem sensible. Ambush skill ranks will only be given to who has developed them. A surprise and the loss of DB, would apply to a failed Perception roll.

Thanks for your opinions!