Author Topic: Elor Once Dark  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Elor Once Dark
« on: November 18, 2021, 11:10:57 PM »
So the party in my current campaign is about to meet Elor Once Dark. I am looking for any references to him in Shadow World books. I have all the Rolemaster modules but haven't read any of Terry's fiction. So far, I can see he is mentioned in Vog Mur and The Iron Wind. Is there anything else I'm missing (i.e. other references anywhere)?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Elor Once Dark
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 05:50:28 AM »
Chapter Twelve of the Loremaster Legacy book has a lot of Elor.
Chapter Fifteen goes on with info on him.
You definitively need that to portray him just right.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 12:35:13 PM »
Thanks for the references Voriig! Those will help.

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 09:35:03 PM »
His domicile is in The Cloudlords of Tanara suppliment.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 12:21:41 AM »
I wonder why it is in CoT while it is located in the foothills of the Dragonsfang Mountains in northern Saralis [as per the Grand Campaign, at least, which indicates it is on a river island and can be accessed by bridges that span the waterway] ?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 02:59:06 AM »

I looked, but I can't find it in Cloudlords. Randae Terisonen's villa is in there, but I didn't see Elor's. Am I missing it?

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 07:02:05 AM »
I looked, but I can't find it in Cloudlords. Randae Terisonen's villa is in there, but I didn't see Elor's. Am I missing it?
I have the original version of CoT and it certainly isn't there. Maybe there's another edition in which it is, but I can't help but wonder why it would be included in it. It would have made more sense in Xa'ar, since that module also includes information on northern Saralis.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 09:38:01 AM »
Probably the most up to date map with the house is the Xa-Ar book (page 24 of the PDF).
Also, that book has many texts by Elor.
My players first knew of him in that campaign, a crow to be seen at the weirdest of moments, flying away after he was discovered.
Until the party got trapped in an old magical pit, and the crow transformed and gave them some ideas on how to get out.
Eventually they found his house, and stayed there for some days. Every time he spent time with them during those days he had a slightly different personality (and accent I believe).

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 11:39:35 AM »
Yes, I see the location on the map on p. 24 of Xa-ar. That is awesome-- thanks.

I also see a reference that says his house is outlined in the Grand Campaign, and indeed there are stats for Elor in part XI of that. Sadly, some of the images in the version of the Grand Campaign that I have are not working. Is there an official place to download the Grand Campaign.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 06:56:01 PM »
My version is also missing lots of images, it seems they should be maps.
I don't think there is another hard to find, more complete version, TKA always said he did not intend to complete that document.
I was almost sure there was a map with the bridges somewhere but maybe it was just something I drew for my players at the moment.
The Powers Of Light And Darkness has a short description on Elor's house, not sure if it's the same found somewhere else or if it's only there.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 10:18:26 PM »
Yes, I checked the description of his house in Powers and it is the same as the one in Grand Campaign. Still useful though.

Thanks for your help; it will be fun to see the players meet this guy!

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 12:49:55 AM »
The Grand Campaign text also includes a little could-be-significant detail about Elor's possessions/gear. Guess he would be the one to be there when whoever had it before was not paying attention...

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 06:18:23 PM »

No, you are correct. I was getting them mixed up.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 09:23:53 PM »
No worries RandalThor... by the way, having watched Amazon Prime this weekend, I now know where your name comes from :)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 08:02:42 PM »
No worries RandalThor... by the way, having watched Amazon Prime this weekend, I now know where your name comes from :)
Funny enough my name is Randall (shortened to Rand), so it is all serendipitous that my favorite book series of all time has a lead character with my name.

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 08:48:38 AM »
The Grand Campaign is in the ICE Vault: https://ironcrown.co.uk/ICEforums/index.php?action=tportal;sa=download;dl=item842

This may or may not be the version you have.

Colin

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 10:27:51 AM »
Thanks Colin. That is the version I have. Most of the layouts and graphics are fine, but I think some of the maps are missing; I think Terry must have never finished it, or perhaps there are some file incompatibility issues.