Author Topic: So where to start ...?  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Jakob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Otherland Bookshop - The No. 1 Adress for Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror and Role-Playing Games in Berlin, Germany
So where to start ...?
« on: October 06, 2021, 08:55:37 AM »
... to get into SW?
Obivously, there's the player's guide, but my question is mainly about whether I should get Master Atlas 3rd or 4th edition. From the drivethru previews, it looks like 3rd edition lacks the historical overview that the 4th edition starts with; still, I seem to remember that some people recommend 3rd edition over 4th, but I may be wrong ...

Online MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: So where to start ...?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 10:20:13 AM »
I would advise to go with the latest Master Atlas to get the more "up-to-date" information. Then, find one area that has been detailed (Haalkitaine and Rhakhaan, Jaiman, Sel-Kai, Emer NW or NE - keep SE for later, or even Xa-ar), buy that, and jump in.

My heart will always say to go for the truly old ones (Cloudlords of Tanara and Iron Wind), but it's a bit more difficult to tie them back into the current Shadow World and they have much less in terms of historical background - they are more situational.

The MA3 is better in other aspects that are not immediately necessary.

From the above, get Sel-Kai if you want to go for urban adventures in a true venice-like metropolis, get Haalkitaine if you'd rather have renaissance court intrigues, and pick any of the others if you want more traditional overland adventures. The area that is provided in MA4, Bay of Izar, is not half-bad either, with a nice cultural mix (but less detailed than a full-blown campaign module, of course).

And then... well, it's not called a rabbit hole for nothing :)

Offline Jakob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Otherland Bookshop - The No. 1 Adress for Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror and Role-Playing Games in Berlin, Germany
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 10:25:07 AM »
Thanks! Sel-Kai sounds interesting ... I've also been eyeing the Tales from the Green Gryphon Inn. Sounds like it's several small-scale, geographically limited scenarios, which might be good for starters.
But first, I'll go for the Master Atlas 4th edition.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 11:49:06 AM »
Green Gryphon Inn is good for starters. I've also found Quellbourne to be a pretty good starting area.

In my present campaigns, I am starting players in the Rhakhaan Empire because it is relatively safe but also because Rhakhaan is the most central area of the most covered continent. This allows me to use Green Gryphon Inn (for the local setting within Rhakhaan) together with Haalkitaine (which is nearby and gives further information on the empire as a whole) and the Jaiman book (which gives further general information about the continent). Also, Tanara is just on the other side of the mountains from Rhakhaan, Aranmor (covered in Demons of the Burning Night) is off the coast, Norek is nearby and close to being taken over by the Empire, etc.

Sel-Kai is cool as a starting area too, it is just that the surrounding areas are not as well covered by the existing modules.

I use the 3rd edition instead of the 4th, partly because I play RM2 (the 4th adds in RMSS stats that I don't need) and partly because I am not a fan of the art style (especially the depictions of races) of the 4th Edition Atlas. If you are playing RMSS, though, you definitely want the 4th edition.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Online MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »
The idea with Sel-Kai, I believe, is not to go to the surrouding area (except for the places very near the city), rather to take a ship and go someplace else and back. From Sel-Kai, even without talking skyships (which are quite expensive), you can go to any port in northern Emer or Southern Jaiman. It is a great home base after you've cut your baby teeth on some local problems. Plus, solving said problems make the PCs meet potential sponsors or patrons - Sel-Kai is a very wealthy city of myriad conflcting interests.

An interesting alternative is to get Iron Wind, Quellbourne, and Xa'ar. The setting is completely different and much, much rougher, but the potential for adventure is immense and the stakes pretty high.

Offline Jakob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 04:54:46 PM »
Thanks for the additional information!
At first, I'll be only reading anyway, so stats really don't matter to me; and if I get to play Shadow World, I probably won't use RM (I don't have any players for it, and TBH, I always preferred the complexity level of MERP, so if I were to use a member of the RM family, it will most certainly either be HARP or Against the Darkmaster or some combination inspired by both ...).

So it looks like I'll get the best start with the Player's Guide and Atlas 4th edition, and then I can see where I want to go from there.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 09:53:19 PM »
An interesting alternative is to get Iron Wind, Quellbourne, and Xa'ar. The setting is completely different and much, much rougher, but the potential for adventure is immense and the stakes pretty high.

Oh, my players are going there too... because those are close enough to Rhakhaan as well. Just on the other side of Saralis, and you're there!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 05:08:02 AM »
I also believe that Haalkitaine it´s the best module to begin with. Its easy to adjust the game to city-located adventures to get there for travel themed missions . Having so much noble houses you can always get some contract to protect, spy, attack, etc

Also it´s one of the best detailed modules to help GM give this extra flavour to the game.

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 10:53:58 AM »
I also believe that Haalkitaine it´s the best module to begin with. Its easy to adjust the game to city-located adventures to get there for travel themed missions . Having so much noble houses you can always get some contract to protect, spy, attack, etc

Also it´s one of the best detailed modules to help GM give this extra flavour to the game.

And it has a nice map too!