Author Topic: Harp 1st edition: Exorcism Talent - how does it work?  (Read 1004 times)

Offline harper1973

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Harp 1st edition: Exorcism Talent - how does it work?
« on: April 23, 2021, 07:22:44 AM »
Hi everybody, I own and I am reading the italian version of the 1st edition Harp Core Rulebook. I'm a little puzzled by the italian wording of the Exorcism Talent. It says that the character who's trying to heal a target from a magical disease has to roll a Resistance Roll against Will: if he scores 101 or more he succedes. Some sentence after, it says that the would-be healer doesn't use her/his Resistance Roll: Will Bonus when he makes this roll. Is it so? Is it just a flat open ended roll, without any bonuses? Is there an error in the italian version? Am I missing something?
Many thanks!

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
Re: Harp 1st edition: Exorcism Talent - how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 09:01:02 AM »
The English version has the talent Enchantment Cure in place of Exorcism. It operates the same way. I think this means you use the character's rank modifier for the will resistance roll but talents or other factors that would impart a bonus to the resistance skill are not used. I also looked at the current version of the rules and the wording for the talent is the same.

Offline craig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 12:10:34 AM »
I think it means a plain stat-only Will roll (i.e. SD+SD, with no rank or other bonuses from the Resistance: Will skill).   i.e. roll open-ended, add your SD stat bonus twice,  101+ = Success.

Seems a bit weird and unfair, and makes the Talent grossly over-priced at 25 DP for such a small chance of success, but that's what the rules-as-written seem to say.

Personally, I'd make it use the Will RR skill, not just SD+SD.   If a character pays DP for a skill and for a talent, they should get the benefit of the price they paid.   Not doing so seems contrary to the basic premise of how HARP works - you get better at something (including focusing your will) by spending DP on it.

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 07:26:55 AM »
I think it means a plain stat-only Will roll (i.e. SD+SD, with no rank or other bonuses from the Resistance: Will skill).   i.e. roll open-ended, add your SD stat bonus twice,  101+ = Success.

After re-reading the entry, I agree with this interpretation. I based my initial interpretation on the skill based norm of HARP. I also agree the talents cost is bit hefty for the benefit it provides. I will continue to use my faulty interpretation as the 'House Rule' on Enchantment Cure.

Offline harper1973

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 03:00:11 PM »
Many thanks again to both of you!