Author Topic: ERA Casting directed spells above your level  (Read 1674 times)

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA Casting directed spells above your level
« on: March 14, 2021, 11:14:20 PM »
Even though the system allows you spend the DP and learn spells above your level, it does not seem to allow you to cast a directed spell that is above your level, but I want to use this optional rule. Is there a workaround for this?

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA Casting directed spells above your level
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 08:41:04 AM »
Looks like there is no workaround other than doing it manually. I think this is a bug no? Also, I noticed the player was first level and had a -97 modification trying to cast shock bolt with no prep, how is that calculated?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 08:46:57 AM »
It might help if you specified which version of Rolemaster you were playing: RM2/C or RMSS/FRP?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 04:25:18 PM »
RMC

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 11:09:25 AM »
I don't know RMC as well as RM2 (on which RMC is based), but I can say that in RM2, there are significant penalties (ESF or Extraordinary Spell Failure penalties) for trying to cast a spell above your level. Trying to cast a level 2 Shock Bolt at level 1 would impose:
-20 for casting a spell 1 level higher
-50 additionally if you tried to cast it without the 2 rounds of prep it normally requires

There could be additional penalties for not having a free hand, and for armor/helmet/equipment. So the penalty might be correct, though the odd number (-97) does seem strange. The only penalty that I think could result in a number like that would be extra penalties for equipment (e.g. essence spells get 1 point of penalty for every pound of nonliving organic material you are carrying over the 3 lb limit).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 11:29:04 AM »
I don't know RMC as well as RM2 (on which RMC is based), but I can say that in RM2, there are significant penalties (ESF or Extraordinary Spell Failure penalties) for trying to cast a spell above your level. Trying to cast a level 2 Shock Bolt at level 1 would impose:
-20 for casting a spell 1 level higher
-50 additionally if you tried to cast it without the 2 rounds of prep it normally requires

There could be additional penalties for not having a free hand, and for armor/helmet/equipment. So the penalty might be correct, though the odd number (-97) does seem strange. The only penalty that I think could result in a number like that would be extra penalties for equipment (e.g. essence spells get 1 point of penalty for every pound of nonliving organic material you are carrying over the 3 lb limit).

Well I am playing with an optional rule that casting above your level only counts for spells you don't know. In any case, I can't even cast the shock bolt because it always says "N/A" in the results box.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 08:07:48 PM »
In ERA for RMC, when you open the spell casting dialog, all spells known to the caster are shown. There is no restriction that limits what you can choose.
After the spell is selected, penalties are shown to the right of the roll (bottom left of the dialog). There's a magnifying glass icon that opens a detail on the modifiers.
If the caster has prepared the spell you should enter them in the "Preparation Rounds" field and that will adjust the penalties accordingly.

After casting the spell, in case it succeeds, you should roll for the attack by using the attack dialog and choosing the directed spell from the lists of OBs.
Any result of N/A in a dialog after entering the roll might indicate an issue with the system configuration. Some book packages might not be installed, or a combat skill might not be indicating the correct attack table.

If you'd like to share screenshots of the situation you are observing, please send them to the support mail account: era–support.voriigkye@recursor.net

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 01:01:08 PM »
Ok, it was because I had not selected "Shock Bolt" as the attack table.

This is a bit confusing, if you learn Shock Bolt and develop the skill, shouldn't it automatically select Shock Bolt as the attack table?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 02:30:53 PM »
Some features are added at times, then other features improve and stuff that would have been difficult before becomes trivial.
Sometimes we detect those opportunities in time and improve many things at once.
Other times, the default table name for attacks just remains empty all the way until the attack, when it would be so easy to try using a table named like the skill.

Thanks for pointing this out. The next version of ERA will consider the name of the skill for resolving attacks, in case a table name was not specified.

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 11:07:30 PM »
Ok Thanks, at the very least when it says "N/A" maybe a little helper to point out why?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 05:36:55 AM »
Yep, it will be added as well. =D