Author Topic: Nuyan-Khom  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Nuyan-Khom
« on: February 13, 2021, 09:30:38 PM »
I have a player playing a Japanese-inspired Armsmaster in my upcoming campaign, and I was just wondering: are there any adventures or SW material set in Nuyan-Khom? I am pretty sure there are no entire modules, but am wondering if maybe smaller adventures in other modules might touch upon the region. All I have to go on so far is the section on Nuyan-Khom in Emer II.

Thanks for any information (even if it is just to confirm that there is nothing)!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Nuyan-Khom
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 10:34:10 AM »
Oh, also, related question: What race are the Nuyani?

In the old Emer Atlas II, in the description of Nuyan-Khom, it says that the people of the region (Nuyani) are an offshoot of the Y'kin race, who are themselves an offshoot of the Ochu race. However, in the Master Atlas (3rd Edition), in the section on peoples under Ochu, it says that the Ochu have a colony in Northern Tai Emer (Pochantos) but doesn't say anything about Nuyan-Khom.

I ask because it seems like the Ochu/Y'kin are more inspired by Native Americans, whereas the culture of Nuyan-Khom seems more Japanese inspired (their description in the 4th edition of the Atlas says that they have epicanthic folds 'like Terran Asian people'), and I was wondering if the Y'nar (clearly Asian-inspired) were the more logical fit? The Atlas also says specifically that the Y'Nar live in NE Emer (Silaar).

So: what race are the Nuyani?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 11:08:29 AM »
I'm thinking the claim that the Nuyani are Y'kin is a typo, even though it is repeated twice on p. 94 of Emer II. Earlier in the page it calls them Y'nar. So I'm going with Y'nar.

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 01:40:41 PM »
The Namarians are Y'nari.
Nuyan Khom is more based on Vietnam than Japan.  A Japanense-inspired character might not find themselves fitting in.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 03:51:06 PM »
Yes, definitely Y'nari! The more I read the more that becomes clear.

Did Vietnamese society have this clan system? That seems pretty Japanese to me, but I know nothing about Vietnam.

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 01:31:08 PM »
There is a clan system in Vietnam, as well as a class system.  The butterfly is also a significant system, of long life.

There are necessarily differences between Vietnam and Nuyan Khom that arise from drasticly different geopolitical realities.  Vietnam has been home to its own kingdom, but has also been part of the Chinese empire at some times; whereas it's been 4,000 years since Nuyan Khom had to even think about empires.  Vietnam's religious landscape is also very different from Nuyan Khom.  One similarity is Tengu.  Vietnam has its own Buddhist tradition, just as Japan has Zen and so on.