Author Topic: Looking for a Middle Earth big bad  (Read 4831 times)

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Looking for a Middle Earth big bad
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2019, 10:23:00 AM »
I think you will find the real big bad is Middle Earth Enterprises.

Nah, I'm cool with them. I've got all of the RPG stuff I need from them already, and I got to watch the movies. :)
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 02:36:39 PM »
I think you will find the real big bad is Middle Earth Enterprises.

Bazing! Nice one.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Curtis

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2022, 05:24:17 AM »
Yeah, I'm currently leaning towards Ren the Unclean.

Another option would be The Mouth of Sauron from the Gorgoroth module.  Actually, that one has a handful of others who might have survived into the Fourth Age, or be present in Third Age 1640.

Offline Vladimir

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2022, 12:57:26 PM »
  If you are dealing with humans, you don't have to do much to create conflict. Trust me, I've held elected office for 12 years, and people will find something to complain about.

When you have stratified society, as in Middle Earth, the people on the bottom will eventually realize that people born into wealth and power are no better than those born into poverty, especially in times of peace when the nobility grow complacent and comfortable in their positions.

Nobles vie for wealth and power and those not capable of generating wealth will seek alternatives to earning wealth and power through conventional means; they will look at intrigue and political maneuvering. Factions will appear and eventually a leader will emerge.
  One way for an incompetent noble to gain power and influence is through war. Enemies and threats can be invented as even fair market competition could be painted as a threat.
  There is always somebody who believes that could do a better job if they had sufficient power. Things get even more interesting when more than one ambitious person appears to compete for the throne.
  When I play in a campaign, I always aim to be king or emperor.

Government is inherently corrupt. Government functionaries constantly seek ways to expand their power and influence, even create crisis to exploit. Given time, all governments become self-serving.

The Roman Empire expanded its borders and conquered provinces in order to provide free bread to the citizens of Rome. Rome eventually collapsed after Romans stopped serving in the Legions so they had to enlist foreign soldiers and commanders.
  Corruption and incompetence prompted the government to coin debased currency to the point that Rome would not accept their own coins to pay taxes.

No, you don't have to go very far to find enemies.

When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu