Author Topic: Roll20 Rolemaster Combat Minion module  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
Roll20 Rolemaster Combat Minion module
« on: June 03, 2016, 03:40:49 AM »
Having just viewed the API session at Roll20CON 2016, it seems obvious that much of Rolemaster Combat Minion could be migrated to Roll20. This would allow the huge array of functionality provided by Roll20 for online collaborative gaming, overlaid with all of the RM combat tables, logic and sequencing. And both are written in javascript making it even easier.

It could easily take over from the wep app because it would cater for not only online games, but also tabletop (face to face) RM. In the latter, the GM would simply open Roll20 and the installed RM module would work just like Combat Minion right now. Roll20 could therefore be the platform for both sets of play groups.

The IP would need to be discussed to see how ICE would handle it. I think it would open up a potentially large new market of players, and provide an additional revenue stream since I would assume the combat tables (IP) would still be purchased.

Anyway, just opening up this topic for discussion and to see what others think.

Offline hawklord

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Roll20 Rolemaster Combat Minion module
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 02:02:13 AM »
An excellent idea,its always nice to have an alternative to Fantasy Grounds. It would be good idea if it is sold via Roll20's online store so people wouldn't need to have paid subscription to Roll20 to access the API features

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 09:00:53 AM »
It does mean you would add functionality without the need to support it, and it would be a nice visibility boost as well. Would it encumber the program and make it harder to use if you weren't looking for the additional Roll20 functionality, though?
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:19:41 PM »
It does mean you would add functionality without the need to support it, and it would be a nice visibility boost as well. Would it encumber the program and make it harder to use if you weren't looking for the additional Roll20 functionality, though?

Good question. To answer that I'd need to research how much freedom a custom roll20 module has (ie. a roll20 RM Combat Minion module) to override the normal roll20 UI. Ideally the current Minion UI could remain as is. Then the only added step is for users to register and log into roll20... and hope that roll20 stays free.

Offline Pazuzu

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 12:15:06 PM »
If it will also add the penalties (RMFRP) for low HP, PP, and exhaustion, or maybe even track combat xp for the party, I would gladly throw all my money at it.

At least all that my wife lets me play with.

Offline talsharien

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 05:49:16 PM »
I too would invest in such a venture. Roll 20 is a cracking tool and integrated with minion even better.

Offline CDBoulton

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 12:09:14 AM »
just trying to revive this topic. Our group are just getting into Roll20 and love Combat Minion, so I would be happy to chip in and get this one over the line. Any ideas where it is at or if it needs a Kickstarter or something?

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 07:25:08 PM »
just trying to revive this topic. Our group are just getting into Roll20 and love Combat Minion, so I would be happy to chip in and get this one over the line. Any ideas where it is at or if it needs a Kickstarter or something?

It's an interesting question. The main considerations seem to be development time, and demand. The former I can answer - I have very little spare time to do this unfortunately. Demand is unknown. Looking at the number of Minion users, while it's gratifying to see it in the hundreds, it's still a relatively small bunch of people in the grand scheme of things. And only a (probably very small) minority would be using Roll20, and an even smaller subset would want Roll20+Minion.

I don't have an obvious answer. It might be time to see if someone else might want to take over that particular software development. If anyone has further suggestions or ideas, please come forward.

Offline international1

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 12:22:02 PM »
A big limiting factor for new gamers is the lack of the tools that work easily for gamers.  I think incorporating the product into Roll20 is a great idea.  I am limited by the usability of the tools with VTT or the bugs in the tools that require you to have some technical expertise.

Offline Dragonking11

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 09:28:39 PM »
Hi there

I know I'm late to the party(or too early for my usual taste) but I'm currently developing a software solution as of now that will be cloud based targeted at playing tabletop games online. I'm aiming to start by supporting the RMSS ruleset as I have a lot of experience with it

The software will support character generation, automated combat and everything RM related.

The software is not yet finished though and I did not try to talk to the ICE guys concerning the licensing yet.

I'm planning to link complete video demonstration as soon as it is possible

I'm a couple weeks off having a playable demo and thought it was too early to speak about it but I just thought that this thread was too good an opportunity and wanted to chime in.

If you have questions or even "feature request", I'd really like to hear them

Offline Camel1918

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 10:29:31 AM »
Hello all,

I see I'm late to this discussion by a few years. LOL.... Anyway I think this would be a great add on for not only just Roll 20 gut also the new, or relatively new Foundry VTT. This has really taken off and with all the features that are possible I think it would be easier to incorporate something like Combat Minion module into it as opposed to any of the other VTT's.
I think If we are talking RMss, RMFRP or even the new RM which we are still waiting for it would be a boon to the series and for the company. I don't understand why Iron Crown doesn't jump on aids for their products. I also have seen zero marketing anywhere. No big push to get information out about their new series at all! Just baffles me totally. They at least need to sponsor someone to make some YouTube vids.
Sorry just got off on a little rant. Anyway I think that if at all possible this program needs to be moved over to Foundry.

Offline nash

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Homepage
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 09:57:58 PM »
More thread necromancy... but I'm working on a Roll20 RMU character sheet, and took over the maintenance of combat minion.   I will see what is possible with integration in the future.

Feel free to message me if you want to see a alpha of the RMU roll20 sheet.