Author Topic: Question about some races  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Neee-Wom

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Question about some races
« on: July 07, 2015, 03:17:52 AM »
The Jinteni/Thesians/Kinsai thing

According to Atlas 3rd edition, we have the (extinct) Jinteni.

Jinteni: 5'8"–6'8" tall, no professional limitations, though a particular aptitude towards Mentalism. Lifespan: 200 years.
Precursors of the Thesians and/or the Kinsai, the Jinteni controlled much of Emer, Falias, Govon and perhaps parts of Thuul and Agyra during the Interregnum. The Jinteni developed a magic-technology fusion which culminated in the creation of the sun-gems but are now known primarily for their vast tombcities.[/color]

And there is a race that it seems are their offshoot, the Thesians.

Thesians: 5'8" - 6'8" tall, no professional limitations. Lifespan: 75 years.
This tall, graceful people—with their dark brown skin, full lips and flattened noses—could well be descendants of the famed Jinteni race. Loremasters base this conjecture on what few works of art and visual record they have found which can be linked to the lost Jinteni. All Thesians have dark brown eyes, very dark skin, and have little body hair. Scalp hair, however, grows thickly and in very tight curls. Long-fingered hands are also the norm. Thesians on Emer are for the most part in Onar (where they are known as the Kinsai) and Khûm-kaan. They can also be found in other warm-temperate and tropical environments.[/color]

But looking at the Race Bonus chart, there is no race modification for the Thesians, and in the description it says that Thesians are known as Kinsai in some areas, but Kinsai have their own description in the races section.

Kinsai: 5'8"Ð6'8" tall, no professional limitations, though a particular aptitude towards Mentalism. Lifespan: 200 years.
With their light brown skin and black curly hair, it is easy to see why the Loremasters believe that Kinsai are the result of interbreeding between the fair-skinned Laan and the dark complected Jinteni. These people are found in SE Emer and other temperate to warm climates. The Itanians of SW Emer are of the Kinsai race, but with a particularly strong innate mentalist capability.[/color]

Also we have the Stat Bonus modification for the Kinsai, that probably makes them one of the best races to play.

Everything started as in my game a player had a Thesian and another player decided to create an Ochu, all was fine until he started to compare the Ochu with the Kinsai/Thesian.

I thought it could not be worse than the Yinka-Y'kin (in my group it was considered the worst race to play, and it was incredible that they were a power in Tanara during Cloudlords). After comparing, I found that Ochu is exactly as bad as a Yinka.

I understand that races in the game have different modifications, but these races are terrible. Worse, we had another game many years ago and Pochanti were of Jaaderi stock according to previous editions, now they are Ochu, it's comprehensible they lost.  ;D

So, it would be fine to get Stat mods for Thesians or clarify they are the same as Kinsai.

Regarding Ochu, I will make my own changes...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:05:29 AM by Terry K. Amthor »
Ni!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Question about some races
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:02:04 AM »
 :-X           https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTQfGd3G6dg                                                                                                                    
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:06:06 AM »
Niii, I removed the blue from your post; it made the text unreadable (at least for me)
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Neee-Wom

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 12:45:58 PM »
Yammahopper, you nailed it.

Terry, I use the theme ICE curve and the blue text was clear, I did not notice that other themes would make it unredeable. Any official answer from the Oracle?
Ni!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 04:54:29 PM »
My laptop keyboard doesn't work, so my early response was limited to copy and paste. I had fun.

I would use the commom men or mixed stats. Or...twenty five positive poonts in racial statmods
to spend as desired.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Neee-Wom

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 02:48:15 AM »
Of course I can create a new race but I found two problems, first that Thesian have not race modifiers or are just Kinsai, that makes them the best mentalists worldwide.

Second, the Ochu problem of being the lamest race to play, I'm against the typical equilibrium and in RM it's usually counteracted with background points, but not here.
Ni!