Author Topic: Navigator's using essaence flow for jumps / Spell Law's Lofty Bridge  (Read 1161 times)

Offline brandivil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I've been wondering what other GM's are permitting in SW regarding limits on Navigator jumps.  Reading the SW novels, the tapping of essaence flows for jumps varies significantly.

For example:

- Stormriders novel forces the Navigator to locate and be physically near an essaence flow in order to make a jump.

- Legacy of the Loremaster's novel appears to be more free flowing

- other novels require the Navigator's to use their compasses in a very specific manner to view, tap, lock destination and jump.

Appreciate feedback from other GM's on how they make this work in their SW campaigns :)

The second part to my question is the use of Spell Law's Lofty Bridge (and any other non-Navigator spell list) for doing pretty much the same thing (jumping).   Do you permit these other lists to be used by PCs and NPCs alike?  Do you create increased danger of using these non-safe jump modes?  I'm thinking of allowing these lists yet increasing the risk of failure to land at target based on a roll related to accidentally 'crossing' into a significant essaence flow and thereby redirecting the party to some other destination along that flow...also be very interested to hear from GM's that have worked ideas on this or done something completely different?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Navigator's using essaence flow for jumps / Spell Law's Lofty Bridge
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 06:41:39 AM »
Navigators rarely interact with PCs in my adventures, since they never have enough money for them.
The few times they've appeared, their compasses have allowed them to work whatever destination was required, without the need to be near any specific point.
Also, most of the time this was next to an obelisk, so you'd assume that they were placed in good locations for using transport magic.

As regards Lofty Bridge, I allow it as long as it's for short distances. Using teleport to travel miles by magic will likely leave the party deviated from the path due to the flows. My players know this risk exists, so they have rarely attempted this. If/When they do it, I would do a quick review of a map to decide if there would be a flow in the path that would change the course of the destination. Or I might decide using the flow maps that there could be an Essaence barrier in the way, which would most likely mean the spell fails, and the caster could be stunned for some rounds.

When in doubt about how magic works in Shadow World, I would say that Legacy of the Loremasters has the final say. It was written by the one and only judge of what's canon in Shadow World, and it is one of his most recent works, so it will have the most up-to-date description of how things work in Kulthea.