Author Topic: Essence flows, ley lines and nexus points  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
Essence flows, ley lines and nexus points
« on: May 20, 2015, 12:39:55 AM »
Anyone know in what book I might find a good introductory description of essence flows including ley lines and nexus points? I am going to use this as a description for my players in a campaign I am running. There is a chance that I don't have the book, so if possible could someone please post the description here? This description will be placed in a snippet within Realm Works so the players can look it at anytime.
Thanks ahead of time!

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Essence flows, ley lines and nexus points
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 05:40:48 AM »
Essænce Flows are not fixed, but there are some that rarely change. Foci are more permanent. The most definitive info is in the Master Atlas 3rd Edition. What is "Realm Works"?
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 09:20:35 AM »
There is a really cool description of a flow storm in the shadow world players guide and in Terry's Loremaster Legacy the central characters get to watch a flowstorm from the deck of a ship.

This is from the players guide.

In nature, a Flowstorm takes the form of a great whirlwind or thunderstorm, but instead of dust or water vapor, it is composed of translucent bands of multicolored light (often a lurid green hue) with energy discharges arcing between them.

The greatest of these monstrosities behave like hurricanes and can last for weeks or months, wreaking havoc with weather, Essænce, and life. While to the untrained observer the impact of a Flowstorm is very similar to that of a normal (albeit prismatic and extremely violent) meteorological event, this is but a side effect of far more devastating damage to the invisible Essænce.

Almost all Flowstorms spawn whirlwinds of varying intensity. A small storm (sometimes referred to as a flow squall) may only support one small whirlwind, while larger ones may create dozens of powerful effects, some similar in might to minor tornadoes.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »
Essænce Flows are not fixed, but there are some that rarely change. Foci are more permanent. The most definitive info is in the Master Atlas 3rd Edition. What is "Realm Works"?
I think I have the 3rd ed Master Atlas, but I know I have the players guide.

Realm Works is campaign management software with some really cool features. I can put all kinds of info into it including maps, PC and NPC info, backgrounds, pictures, etc. It shows relationships and creates links for content within the program so you can easily access it through other references. One of the coolest things is the player edition in which the GM can decide what the players see or know about particular subjects. This software is very useful but I can't really do it justice so here is a link: http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks/
One really cool thing that they are working on right now is the content market where developers can sell (or give away free) content for use in the software. I honestly think this would be a great place to sell some Shadow World stuff (not to forget ICE stuff in general).
These are the same people who developed Hero Lab which integrates with Realm Works. I once tried developing the HARP character generation rules for Hero Lab. I gave up on that immense task and decided to learn Javascript instead for character sheets.

If your or anyone at ICE is interested I could get you the contact info.

Bruce

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 11:16:08 AM »
There is a really cool description of a flow storm in the shadow world players guide and in Terry's Loremaster Legacy the central characters get to watch a flowstorm from the deck of a ship.

I've read the older books from like the 90's but nothing recent and I think Legacy is more recent. I have the players guide and have input that info into my campaign (though I am going to have to change it a little to fit this world). I still need to describe nexus points and ley lines. I remember reading about them somewhere but I have been unable to find anything on them. I looked through the 3rd edition and it is pretty much the same as in the player's guide except it is more detailed. I may use some of the info in the 3rd edition but I have to clean it up some to fit this world.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »

I've read the older books from like the 90's but nothing recent and I think Legacy is more recent. I have the players guide and have input that info into my campaign (though I am going to have to change it a little to fit this world). I still need to describe nexus points and ley lines. I remember reading about them somewhere but I have been unable to find anything on them. I looked through the 3rd edition and it is pretty much the same as in the player's guide except it is more detailed. I may use some of the info in the 3rd edition but I have to clean it up some to fit this world.

We don't actually use the terms "nexus points" and "ley lines" in Shadow World (unless they are in some rogue module). Sounds more like Rifts or some other setting. I actually developed the Essænce Flows before ever hearing of ley lines.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:38:50 AM »

Loremaster Legacy was last year I think, it all blurs into one these days.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 11:57:49 AM »
We don't actually use the terms "nexus points" and "ley lines" in Shadow World (unless they are in some rogue module). Sounds more like Rifts or some other setting. I actually developed the Essænce Flows before ever hearing of ley lines.
That's odd because I haven't played rifts since the early 90's and I could have sworn those were terms used in Shadow World. Oh well, I'll just have to either change the descriptions to the players or addend the description I put into the software.

Bruce

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 11:59:36 AM »
Maybe you are thinking of the RMSS Arcane Companion?  It has some of that information in it.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 12:16:53 PM »
Maybe you are thinking of the RMSS Arcane Companion?  It has some of that information in it.

You may be on the right track, though if I remember correctly most of that stuff was a little vague.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 12:17:45 PM »
Ley lines and nexus points are in HARP College of Magics.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 12:20:21 PM »
Really? How did I miss that?.... So much info and so many books, that's why.
Thanks Nicholas!

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »
There is also some information in the Arcane Companion about Ley Lines and nodes. ;D
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 01:21:17 PM »
There is also some information in the Arcane Companion about Ley Lines and nodes. ;D
I refer you to the prior comments....