Author Topic: 1st vs 2nd Edition Master Atlas  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Bladorthin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
1st vs 2nd Edition Master Atlas
« on: June 21, 2014, 07:08:16 AM »
Hello!

I recently picked up a copy of the 1st edition Master Atlas and Emer (with the Atlas Compendium). Does the 2nd Master Atlas include additional material?

Thanks!

Offline Destyar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: 1st vs 2nd Edition Master Atlas
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:20:40 AM »
Hello!

I recently picked up a copy of the 1st edition Master Atlas and Emer (with the Atlas Compendium). Does the 2nd Master Atlas include additional material?

Thanks!

Atlas II is a truncated version of Atlas I that attempts to combine the multiple books (plus the Addendum) into one book. Atlas II contains chapters on the major continents Emer, Jaiman and Folenn (I guess Folenn was major at the time, but it has since all but disappeared). Of the two (at least until Atlas III came out), I found myself referring to Atlas I more often as there is material there that does not make it to Atlas II. However there is material that only appears in Atlas II also.

I have posted and really wish that Mr. Amthor would take all the information presented in all the Atlases and create the definitive fifth edition, but it would seem that they want to wait until Rolemaster Universal is completed. So there is hope!

Thanks,
--Desty

Offline Bladorthin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:21:54 AM »
Hello!

Thanks!

Atlas II is a truncated version of Atlas I that attempts to combine the multiple books (plus the Addendum) into one book. Atlas II contains chapters on the major continents Emer, Jaiman and Folenn (I guess Folenn was major at the time, but it has since all but disappeared). Of the two (at least until Atlas III came out), I found myself referring to Atlas I more often as there is material there that does not make it to Atlas II. However there is material that only appears in Atlas II also.

I have posted and really wish that Mr. Amthor would take all the information presented in all the Atlases and create the definitive fifth edition, but it would seem that they want to wait until Rolemaster Universal is completed. So there is hope!

Thanks,
--Desty

Thanks for the reply and....UGH...

Been collecting RM/MERP/HARP/Shadow World products, but have been avoiding duplicates when possible. How much new material would you say was in the Master Atlas 2, compared to MA1+the Addendum from Emer?

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 04:22:20 AM »
Actually it's worse than that...

Every version of the Atlases is different from the other. There's things that can only be found in Atlas 1, other things can only be found in the Atlas 2, and others can only be found in Atlas 3... and then there's the things that can only be found in Emer's Atlas Addendum.

The things missing from Atlas 1 in Atlas 2 are minimal ( I remember that a few NPC went away from the Navigators and Loremasters for example ).

In my case if I had to worry about duplicate... *look at the MERP books, with the reprints, the cover changes, the 2 Mirkwoods in a book*
I think I have 4 versions of Northern Mirkwood all considered. ( and yes I have all the Master Atlases  ::) )
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Destyar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 03:25:06 PM »
Actually it's worse than that...

Every version of the Atlases is different from the other. There's things that can only be found in Atlas 1, other things can only be found in the Atlas 2, and others can only be found in Atlas 3... and then there's the things that can only be found in Emer's Atlas Addendum.

The things missing from Atlas 1 in Atlas 2 are minimal ( I remember that a few NPC went away from the Navigators and Loremasters for example ).

In my case if I had to worry about duplicate... *look at the MERP books, with the reprints, the cover changes, the 2 Mirkwoods in a book*
I think I have 4 versions of Northern Mirkwood all considered. ( and yes I have all the Master Atlases  ::) )

More fuel for the fire for a new FIFTH (FINAL?) EDITION!

I'm looking at you, Mr. Amthor.....

Does this really need to wait for RMU? I mean, it could be argued that all new material should be shelved until RMU is done (Noooooooooo!!).

There's no page-count limitation as was the case with the printed version of Fourth Edition (I was really annoyed by this). The material is all there in the previous editions, so really we are talking about new art, a time-line update, index and a glossary. Yes, a glossary.

This really needs to be in the queue of new editions....

Please?

Thanks,
--Desty