Author Topic: Yikes!  (Read 1438 times)

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
Yikes!
« on: August 13, 2013, 06:41:13 AM »
I keep a bibliography of all of my published work, and wanted (tonight) to get a rough idea of how many poems and prose pieces I have published. Since the total bibliography is the basic html file for my website's page, the coding takes up a lot of space; rather than relying on just the raw size (the whole takes up just under 96 A4 pages in single-spaced 12-point Times New Roman), and since each item has a single definition term (the whole is a series of definition lists), I counted the opening definition tags.

I have just under 1300 of them.

That's almost 1300 poems, articles, reviews and other short prose pieces published since late 1997. And my jaw literally dropped open.

I have, for many years, been afraid that I have not been productive enough, that I have not lived up to my potential as a creative artist. I think, for maybe the first time in my life, that that fear is misplaced. :)

What do you think?
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Yikes!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 07:57:37 AM »
 I think it is great but keep going and shooting for more. I knew an acclaimed poet (do not remember his name) who was an acclaimed classical guitarist who had trouble making $$$$ so he turned to painting to fill the void. To see him in the store I do not think anyone would have guessed just how talented his was at his other artistic endeavors. 
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 08:06:30 AM »
Thanks, Marc: I've got the writing bug bad. :) As of 2014 I aim to write a working draft of a poem a day, as well as sending off a poetry submission a day. For as long as I can. :)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 10:29:39 AM »
There's an SCA bard I have known for many years who I think put it best:

"There are a thousand or so bad-to-mediocre pieces of work inside you... and you need to let them all out so the good stuff can start coming."

Congratulations. In theory at least, you've arrived.  ;)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 06:05:31 AM »
Thankee, Mister Fart!

I'm pleased I can say I have written
a thousand and more and have bitten
the top off a pen
which isn't as Zen
as saying I've cursed and have smitten!

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 04:08:30 PM »
We creative folks gotta get the bad stuff out so the good stuff shines through!

It's funny how you(I in particular) look back and think man you really weren't that great. I cringe at the some of the work I did back then.
I's only now I'm starting to really like my own work, that's not to say a bad one pops it's ugly head now and then but I'm starting to see real improvement and style.
That sounds a little pompous but believe me I'm a very hard self critic...so is my wife actually when it come to my work, she don't hold back and I love her for it!

Thankee, Mister Fart!

I'm pleased I can say I have written
a thousand and more and have bitten
the top off a pen
which isn't as Zen
as saying I've cursed and have smitten!
Mister FART! lol!

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 05:30:17 PM »
If I don't like something I've written, I destroy it. That's why nothing of the thousands of pieces predating 1997 have survived, and why I have, since then, deleted maybe 10-20% of everything I've written since then. I have started something as a variation: if it's an abortive fragment, and the fragment doesn't reek, then I tend to preserve it rather than destroying it.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 01:18:04 AM »
My wife and I often have a difference of opinion on if we should put our creative work 'out there'.

For example, she puts far more of her photography shots up for display than I do.  When she asks why I don't display more of mine (usually shots she likes that I don't think are great) I say "Because I have to think it's good before I'll let it represent me."  She see's it more as; someone else might like if even if I don't.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 01:22:37 AM »
I understand: we have to be happy with our work first, then let others decide whether they like it or not.