Author Topic: Diary Entry Three: Lots being juggled...  (Read 3111 times)

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Diary Entry Three: Lots being juggled...
« on: September 24, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »
Well, I’m frustrated.  I have made excellent progress on my setting, but have also been working on the campaign and continue to get bogged down with “RL” – “real life”.  That not only includes the day job, but the far more increased demands of ICE as we continue to make our push for the continued steady state of new product releases and slow creep in development of increased services. Grrrrr… 

I told my kids we would be “playing by the summer” and here it is nearly October and I can see I have a month or two to go…  Thing is, they don’t know what they are missing, so they don’t seem too perturbed.  I am, because I do!

Now I know a lot of people will be like, “Ahhh...just play!  Put a few plot thoughts down on paper, give them some basic character sheets (or none at all) and role play – chucking around some dice!”  That’s very good advice…but not for me.  I’m one of those people that needs to have a lot of background material in place before I really feel like I am ready.  I demand the suspension of disbelief and need to make sure all my plot threads, setting structure, etc. all hangs together seamlessly, and that means a lot of upfront work.  I forgot how long it takes.

Actually, lots of things are going on at the same time, so it’s not like we are making progress.  Thom and I have had several rounds of back and forth on what is now a fairly detailed outline of a very “light” system mostly derived from HARP, but with a few bells and whistles and geared towards the setting. Most of our input at ICE has been with HARP products, so we feel this is the best place to start, but we have familiarity with a wide base of RPGs and can draw upon strong aspects in other game systems to challenge current ICE game structures for state of the art mechanics. At the same time, I’m progressing on the first adventure module, sketching and outlining it, while now powering through the setting.

So, on to the setting. I talked previously about big picture stuff and some goals about what I wanted myself and the kids to get out of the experience.  There was also a lot of good advice and follow up on that.  But now I will get more specific – I thought a “real world” setting was the best place to start.  Despite the fact that they have read a number of fantasy books, Potter dominates the genre today of books aimed at young adults, and that mostly means the hero starts out in the real world not knowing he is something special…and then is introduced to a very special world/setting shortly thereafter.  I think writers are doing this as it provides a more tangible link with our hectic, gadget filled modern day and pulls the reader into this other world as kids can more easily identify with Harry Potter than say…a hobbit. Well, I think that sucks a bit, but I can’t fault it as an introductory device!

I mulled over modern age? The 50’s?  Victorian (where there would already be lots of good material to use from game systems)?  1700s?  Middle ages or even pre that?  I was really thinking the Victorian, but then I thought I would have to deal with guns (and modern world with gadgets and computers) and deal with a whole host of game rules and setting rules to make it work.  I just couldn’t get it to work in my mind.  But mostly, I felt it was a cop-out.  I think you all have helped with that.  I don’t need to baby them into it – I need to take a leap of faith that they can take a leap of faith and creativity.   After much thought, I have decided to go with a pre-Norman Britain.  I chose this due to the lack of technology not yet introduced and the very detailed courtly rules and all the other BS I would need to deal with in the high Middle Ages. But also how man had become so much more numerous and dominant over the world and its terrain, even how much more interconnected the world was becoming.  In the Dark Ages, Africa was little more than a fairy tale.  Europe and the Holy Roman Emperor were truly faraway places that had no political impact on England and meant nothing at all to the common man.  They were truly “unknown”.  There were few towns.  It was dangerous to travel between them and there were no policemen to keep you safe – there were few roads and they could hardly even be called roads.  To be a strong king, one had to generally be a great warrior (certainly always true of lesser nobles and knights). At the time, there are many kingdoms and princedoms, with all sorts of tribes battling for control of land. 

And people REALLY believed in magic, in monsters and faeries.  And that was a key link.  I knew I wanted to grab all those Celtic myths and bring the faeries strongly into play.  There is a treasure trove of beings and monsters, and massive plot opportunities with the Seelie and Unseelie Court.  Also this world provides an opportunity in both the faerie world and the real world to have “relationships” and “climb in station”. Best of all, there are a lot of materials at hand and yet the 900s are so far away from modern times, there is so much to learn that I think it will not cease to amaze and surprise.

Now, while I have focused on the mid 900s, I have been liberal in my use of persons and events from late 800s to late 900s – lots of interesting characters to draw from. I’m not going to make it perfectly historically accurate with regards to people, time and locations.  But I do want to be pretty accurate with regards to how life was lived in those days.  And it can’t be perfectly accurate, because, well it’s a game!  There will be priests and druids with powers, faeries with powers, magic and sorcery, etc. - So that all has to be woven into the tapestry of history.
Heavy is the head that wears the Iron Crown

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Diary Entry Three: Lots being juggled...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 03:29:06 PM »
and continue to get bogged down with “RL” – “real life”.

When you find a solution to this problem, let us know!
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »
Remember that pre-Norman Britain (5th century onwards) had two or three sets of myths - the Celtic, largely in Wales, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Scotland (Scotland probably had Pictish too), Germanic myths in most of England from the Angles and Saxons and then Norse (some Germanic overlap) later on, certainly by the 900s.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 05:54:17 PM »
You say that Europe was far off from their minds, but wasn't this period where the Normans were constantly invading (pretty much Europe banging on the door) right after Alfred the Great had tried to defend England from being overtaken by the Normans and then later on Edmund the Magnificent, who slowly lost what his grand father had preserved, losing it to violent viking dynasties trying to set up in England.
Game On!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:25:44 PM »
  For modern era games make firearms simply illegal and not available to any PC or NPC. You can use them in the background for events and such but not for player interaction.
  Also remember the looking glass/wardrobe/ hole that can lead to other worlds or times in which things can be the same but just slightly different. So you can have tec but no guns, etc.

Sounds very interesting and I hope it goes well.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline bennis1980

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 12:16:40 AM »
You could quite liberally include the Authurian Legends into this time frame. The kids would get a kick out of Merlin and Lancelot and co (and Tim the Enchanter of course - "There are some who call me Tim!!", Lightning bolt, Kaboom!!!)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 04:05:52 AM »
You say that Europe was far off from their minds, but wasn't this period where the Normans were constantly invading (pretty much Europe banging on the door) right after Alfred the Great had tried to defend England from being overtaken by the Normans and then later on Edmund the Magnificent, who slowly lost what his grand father had preserved, losing it to violent viking dynasties trying to set up in England.

Not so much the Normans - they only invaded once in 1066 - but from the 5th century onwards you had Angles and Saxons from the east, Picts and later Scots from the north, Scoti from the west then Vikings, particularly Danes, from the north east.

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 11:14:16 AM »
Vikings, normans... Vikings were Normans and Danes on pillaging forays, right? When they settled they became Normans and Danes again...
Game On!

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 11:26:41 AM »
Vikings, normans... Vikings were Normans and Danes on pillaging forays, right? When they settled they became Normans and Danes again...

The Normans were once Vikings, but they didn't actually become Normans until after they had settled.

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 01:44:41 PM »
Dane -> Viking -> Norman , then?

Because all I wanted to point out was that England during the 900's wasn't really thinking about English Faeries...they were preoccupied with either pleasing Norman overlords, or working as soldiers for Norman overlords, or trying to survive in the tiny bit of England that survived, still, against an onslaught of Vikings and Normans.

Perhaps somewhere between 600-700 is a better time for English Faeries, although I suspect the Roman occupation of England was a good time as well!

Btw: I'd be quite interested in reading what you've come up with. Perhaps it would make either a nice historical setting, with some fantasy bits thrown in, as a real product for ICE, or perhaps as a multi part Guild Companion article...
Game On!

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 02:04:27 PM »
Danish rule of England didn't happen until the 11th century, shortly followed by Norman. In the 10th century, the Danelaw, which was the part of the country controlled by Danes, was being eroded by the Saxons and by the mid 10th century the Danelaw had been absorbed by England. England was at that time a Saxon dominion.

I would personally chuck historical accuracy out the window and use bits from several different times, as well as folklore from different cultures. For instance, by the 10th century Hadrian's Wall had been greatly dismantled. It would be an interesting twist to have it still occupied as a fortification.

Ordnance Survey do a couple of interesting maps. I'm sure I bought one as a poster.

http://www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/products/paper-maps/historical-maps/historical-maps-roman-and-ancient-britain/roman-britain/pid-9780319290378
http://www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/products/paper-maps/historical-maps/historical-maps-roman-and-ancient-britain/ancient-britain/pid-9780319290361

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 02:05:17 PM »
Or you could go still farther back to the "Celtic invasion of England" when the Romans took mainland Europe from them. In many ways you can just pick a date anywhere, those islands are always trying to hold off raiders/invaders from the mainland, it's only the names that change.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 08:44:54 AM »
I guess europe being far off was a bad choice of words.  I was really thinking he Holy Roman Empire and what was happening over that-a-way.  But certianly the "Vikings" were a plague on the British Isles. 

BUT lets not forget, the vikings by the 900s had been their CENTURIES.  Its like American Indians today still talking about the invader white man and how to get rid of him and win their lands back.  They would have become a fabric of Britian itself and while people were still quite tribal and the idea of being ruled by far off kings hated, I suspect for the average person its "just how things were" just like no one worried or thought much about what was going on in Europe - Kings and high lords yes, but I dont much lower down the food chain.
Heavy is the head that wears the Iron Crown