Author Topic: Reaper kickstarter  (Read 1717 times)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Reaper kickstarter
« on: August 15, 2012, 12:39:26 PM »
For anyone who uses miniatures, there is a crazy Reaper kickstarter campaign going on currently. They are looking to make resin versions of many of their figures and the campaign is intended to give them a head start on that. (Some are already in production.) But as they keep hitting stretch goals the package keeps getting bigger...  currently the Vampire funding level ($100) nets 116 figures and it is pretty certain to be more before the campaign is done (in 10 days). ($5000 more pledged will bump it to 133, that will probably happen by the end of the day, and more is possible over the next week.)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Reaper kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 01:56:34 PM »
Thanks for the info. I forwarded it to a few people who might be interested. I would be if I had the $.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 09:25:47 AM »
Have heard about this but never bothered. But when I checked it out I started to drool and are seriously thinking about taking up painting again. Just cant figure out how add any of the options to the pledge. Gonna ask them and I am sure they will help me out. Will probably go for the vampire pledge with the paint sets added as options. Just have to wait and see if I get enough of a paycheck to handle the pledge luckily it arrives a day before the kickstarter campaign ends.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
Kickstarter's system is a bit too simple for what they are doing. Basically, pledge the appropriate total amount and then pick the basic package (e.g. Vampire). After the Kickstarter campaign ends, they'll send out a survey where you will tell them exactly what you want and where to ship it. At this point the details are not necessary -- and possibly will change e.g. if they unlock new options you want to add. For example they just hit the $565K level so now I am going to add the Mythos monsters to my pledge....

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:31:31 PM »
Yeah once I got back home and could read it on my computer screen instead of my small smartphone screen, I could see the instructions. Just pick the basic package and then the amount necessary to cover the options I want.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 07:20:27 PM »
Might have to look more into that - have been following the progress on the website unfortunately they won't roll out until March '13?

Picked up one at the gameshop - minotaur.  Very nice - a little light on the base but imo a much better product than the finecast WH minis - especially at 1/3 the cost.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 08:59:14 PM »
I always thought the WH figures looked kind of cartoonish.

It's correct that they will not ship till March. Since the molds still need to be made, some haven't even been sculpted yet.

I didn't want to spam the board about this but the campaign is now up to $1,180,000 and for $100 you now get 182 figures. I predict it will be 190 by the end of tomorrow and over 200 by the end (50 cents a figure!). Only four days left to get in on this, though.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:10:12 PM »
 I had a couple of friends that were sort of shy about it until it really started to take off and they looked at the add on's. They are both Dragon fanatics so they are jumping on all of those add on's.

IMO I also think this can be a very good bis decision in addition to bringing back manufacturing to the USA it can also move some of their older stock. I can see something like this every 2 years or a mega kick start with bonuses every 2-4 years. You can not be too predictable or people will wait you out now adays.
MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 11:21:44 PM »
I always thought the WH figures looked kind of cartoonish.

Some yes but some are really cool.  My opinion, and that of many others, is that the resin mimis are actaully more expensive and there are many manufacturing defects - excess flash, bubbles, missing parts - to make it not worth the gamble.  I like my metal - the bones are pretty sturdy and hold paing pretty well.  Finecast were hard to even prime they were so light the pieces flew all over everywhere just from the aerosol can.  Haven't gotten to the point of sealing anything yet. 

Many of the bones I have seen are already in metal so you can see what they look like.  Their website also often has pained versions to look at - or I check out coolminiornot.  At least on that site there are examples that look worse than mine.

They do have some pretty cool dragons.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 11:49:49 PM »
I do have some resin Warhammer figures, both reptile men and also some from the LOTR line (which look a lot more realistic). The normal line of humans and humanoids seem like they have hugely disproportionate weapons and weird grimaces and other facial expressions. Personal preference though. The lightness didn't bother me although I might weight the bases if I normally played outside...