Author Topic: Comments?  (Read 3891 times)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Comments?
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »
But then again, depending on how you build your MMO, things like the surprise mechanic may not be germane to the issue. If the setup is very visual in nature and you're able to do things in real time, whether you the character sees it may depend on whether you the player sees it, rather than the results of a Perception roll. Repeat with variations for every skill from the tabletop rules involving the GM trying to express something he can't actually show you.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 12:14:27 PM »
GOF, the problem isn't whether or nor the player sees it coming, but the character. A straight HP system without any mechanics for dealing with surprise as it pertains to taking damage (like D&D and others) says that they always see it coming - even when they don't, and is too abstract for me and apparently, others.

So, if the game has it D&D-like, then it really doesn't matter if the player sees his character getting attacked, as the damage he takes is the same as if he was struck from the front and knew it was coming. Their attacker will just get an extra hit in before they realize they are being attacked. In an RM rules engined MMO, getting attacked from behind/surprise would be much more dangerous, and therefore you would have to plan accordingly. Like ensure the people in your group are covering their "arcs" so no one gets caught un-awares, and to try to catch your opponents off-guard as it is a viable tactic. (Unlike in D&D, unless you are rogue or something else that gets the "special ability" to attack from surprise and have it matter.) This is why I would prefer an MMO with an engine that emulates RM style play over one like D&D.

I do agree that there is more of the player's abilities being brought into the foreground for an MMO, then for a tabletop. But, with modern programing I am sure that something can be done to help here. Like an "if, then" style, where it is: if sneaking, then use targets perception skills, and if successful then a visual or audible warning is given them. I am not a programmer (obviously), so I don't know exactly how it would/could work, but I am sure that it can be done.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 12:18:06 PM »
That's a good point. Maybe the player can only see it if the character makes his perception roll.

This shouldn't be hard for a game system to do.
Every player would be seeing something slightly different from others in the party.

Then everyone is going to want to play elves.. >:(
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 12:30:10 PM »
Then everyone is going to want to play elves.. >:(
Crap! The best argument against it ever!  ::)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 01:44:41 PM »
Not if they purchase my 10 point flaw, invisible to elves: persons with this flaw are absolutely invisible to elves and cannot be seen or heard by elves.  Elves casting detection magic of any sort will also fail to detect anyone with this flaw.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 10:42:22 PM »
Best. Flaw. Ever.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 05:40:59 AM »
Not if they purchase my 10 point flaw, invisible to elves: persons with this flaw are absolutely invisible to elves and cannot be seen or heard by elves.  Elves casting detection magic of any sort will also fail to detect anyone with this flaw.
But that's not a Flaw, it is a SUPERPOWER!!!!!!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »
  I thought that flaw went along with drug addiction? Or was in fact a mental flaw in that they just thought that they were invisible to Elves. ;D
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 09:59:16 AM »
I can just hear the elf lovers now, saying "Well if I can't smell you either, I'm good with it."

:o
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 11:21:52 AM »
Well, the tactic of "if we ignore them maybe they will go away" did not work, so perhaps "if they ignore us we can pretend they dont exist" is in full force.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2011, 11:38:29 AM »
Stabbings too good for them.

Burnings too good for them.

Those no-good, double-dealing, back stabbing, perverted ELVES!!!!

Smash, snarl, crash, crush, munch, etc.......

(I prefer more overt methods of dealing with elves.)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
Well, imagine being able to attack them with near impunity?

With killing elves, its a lot like when young children catch a mouse under a bucket and burn it to death, or stomp the life out of it.  Generally frowned upon, but with the understanding kids will be kids.

Besides, would you rather a child torture the house hold pet or a critter that has no idea who is inflicting pain on it and must therefore assume its the will/doing of capricious gawds?  I also understand elven screams are very musical and often mistaken for song birds AND their poop doesn't stink.  Double bonus come clean up time.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 07:17:53 AM »
Agreed.  I flirt with other systems time and again; but come back to RM in time.  I have some strong opinions regarding RM; but man, when you actually play whats out there......its a great system.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.