Author Topic: New Shadow World Campaign (Newbie questions)  (Read 1677 times)

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New Shadow World Campaign (Newbie questions)
« on: January 16, 2011, 06:04:11 AM »
Hi SW Profs,

After our Echoes of Heaven (HARP) group broke down, we decided to go back to RM2 (or RMC) and after thinking of a gameworld, which would not run out of material after a few years, we decided to give Shadow World a try. Though I have some pdfs and even physical books, I never read or played it before. Nobody from us. So, my questions would be:

1) I would be able to buy the 4th Ed Master Atlas and Powers of Light & Shadow. I have the 1st Edition Master Atlas in paper form. Would it be necessary/usefull to buy these books, or is the 1st Ed Atlas enough to start with? Maybe GCP will bring out a new one, soon.

2) I thought about starting in Jaiman. Is that a wise choice, to get familiar with the world, or should I use another continent to start at with. Maybe Emer?

3) What would be a nice beginner adventure to get familiar with Shadow World? I have the new stuff from GCP (Xa-ar and Guild Adventurers) and Sky Giants of the Brass Stair. But I think I would be able to access nearly everything as I know a collector of old RPG stuff, who could at least rent me the modules as long as I can't buy it.

4) Is there an existing campaign? I heard something about a "Grand Campaign", but am unable to find anything about it. Could you tell me where I can find some details?

5) Any other hints, tipps or tricks regarding SW? Maybe special things I have to be aware of during Char Gen (like "do NEVER EVER EVER allow an Elven char ;)")?

My time frame to prepare is very tight, as we decided to start playing in the beginning of February. So any help is very much appreciated!

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
Re: New Shadow World Campaign (Newbie questions)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:15:12 AM »
Hi WoeRie

1) I would be able to buy the 4th Ed Master Atlas and Powers of Light & Shadow. I have the 1st Edition Master Atlas in paper form. Would it be necessary/usefull to buy these books, or is the 1st Ed Atlas enough to start with? Maybe GCP will bring out a new one, soon.

3rd or 4th Edition would be fine, although 4th is more or less the 3rd with a new layout and two extra chapters, one to create a character using RMFRP rules and other with a brief description of an area in Emer, but this last was not written by Terry Amthor.

2) I thought about starting in Jaiman. Is that a wise choice, to get familiar with the world, or should I use another continent to start at with. Maybe Emer?

If you want to have lots of background you can use Emer and buy books like Eidolon and Emer 1 & 2.

But if you prefer more traditional adventures and also lots of background I would buy the Jaiman sourcebook and use the books you already have.

3) What would be a nice beginner adventure to get familiar with Shadow World? I have the new stuff from GCP (Xa-ar and Guild Adventurers) and Sky Giants of the Brass Stair. But I think I would be able to access nearly everything as I know a collector of old RPG stuff, who could at least rent me the modules as long as I can't buy it.
In Jaiman sourcebook there are one or two adventures nice to start.

4) Is there an existing campaign? I heard something about a "Grand Campaign", but am unable to find anything about it. Could you tell me where I can find some details?

You can download from the SW website www.eidolonstudio.com

5) Any other hints, tipps or tricks regarding SW? Maybe special things I have to be aware of during Char Gen (like "do NEVER EVER EVER allow an Elven char ;)")?

Kuluku monks can be deadly!!!

Enjoy
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 10:18:24 AM »
Ok, thanks!

To 1) So you mean, the 1st Ed Atlas should be put into the shelf and I should buy a new one - as you say either 3rd or 4th.

To 2+3) Ok great, so I will try to get the Jaiman Sourcebook. I think I should start with traditional fantasy, before I'm more familiar with Shadow World.

To 4) I read the readme and other stuff right now, and it seems that it is an unfinished campaign (as so many out there in the WWW). So, I think it would better to start from scratch this time and create something myself.

To 5) Ok ;)

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:53:15 AM »
Cheers!

3rd or 4th are huge books with loots of information not covered previously. Jaiman sourcebook is a bit old and there are some things that are no longer canon like the age of Rhakhaan emperor, but it's a nice book filled with useful information. GC is either canon but has several ideas that you can drop in other adventures and work quite well.

When I wrote traditional, I meant typical written adventures, Emer books are more crunchy in description and give you several ideas but have not adventures in the traditional sense.

You must feel the thought and think the feeling