Author Topic: Static Maneuvers in Space Master 2  (Read 1197 times)

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Static Maneuvers in Space Master 2
« on: October 03, 2010, 04:12:19 PM »
I’m trying to lock down how our group is going to use the maneuver charts in Space Master 2, and I hit a problem with Static Maneuvers (SM). On page 68, section 18.21, last paragraph, it states :
“Moving and Static maneuvers are resolved using the Personal Maneuver Chart and the Static Action Chart (or, at the GM's discretion, the Alternate Personal Maneuver Chart)”
On page 69, section 18.24 which deals with SM, last sentence before the summary it states:
“If the modified roll is greater than 100, the action is successful. If not, the action fails.”
In the summary regarding SM, still in section 18.24, point 6), again 100 is said to be the number to beat.

Unless I’m missing something, section 18.21 and section 18.24 contradict each other.
So my question is: When performing a Static Maneuver, does the modified roll have to be above 100 in order to succeed, or should the modified total result be used in the Personal Maneuver Chart in order to get the success rate (or the Alternate Personal Maneuver Chart)?

Thanks,
-Terry

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
Re: Static Maneuvers in Space Master 2
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 01:40:58 PM »
Despite any wording in those sections, or which tables to roll on: the general RM engine has 2 ways of resolving actions:

Moving maneuvers

There is the moving maneuvers chart: that chart is divided in several columns for difficulty against the roll that you make. The results on the column can be: a text detailing a failure and the associated penalties, a number between say 20 and 120, and a flavor text detailing great success and the resulting boons.
The text bits are pretty clear, but the number represents: percentage of success. So either it is how far the maneuver came (50% of a sprinting maneuver (3x) for a standard human results in a (50' x 3):2 = 75' moved. OR it may be the chance for the maneuver to succeed: a 50% result on a jumping the fence maneuver must be rolled again on a d100 to check if the maneuver succeeds.

Static maneuvers

The static maneuver process is a modified roll that must exceed 100, or if the static maneuver table is used 111, to succeed. Why this discrepancy: I have no idea, but it has never been a problem. I think that the static maneuver table has some built in bonuses, such as lighting (+10 for well lit room?), or perhaps it is because any result on the table of over 75 may result in a new roll with the same penalties, or with a small bonus.

Hope this helps.
Game On!

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 06:38:57 AM »
Thanks for your input VladD.
Your summary is pretty much my understanding as well. It’s the ambiguity I’m trying to understand.
I’m especially uncertain regarding the 100 vs the 111 for a success (given Medium Difficulty). At least in SM2 it is stated that the Static Action Chart should be used to modify the rolls in both cases, so the +10 for lighting will apply for both.

I think the ambiguity in SM2 can be tracked to changes in the rule set. In RM2 there was no table for the Static Maneuvers (but there is a Static Action Chart with modifiers) and the number to beat was 100.
In RMC there is a Static Maneuver Table, and this is pretty much the same as the SM2 Alternate personal Maneuver table. SM2 is sort of ‘in between’ RM2 and RMC.
Also, in SM:P there is a Static Maneuver Table.

-Terry

Offline madbrad

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 07:48:33 AM »
They way I always used the rules was a modified role over 100 and as far as the chart 111 is just when the flavor starts also I use rmss for additional charts which I believe is what smp is based on

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:18:38 AM »
  You might want to look at the old RM2 errata page (if you can find it) to see how they use the chart and what notes they had on the chart useage.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.