Author Topic: Question about Healers  (Read 744 times)

Offline BugsyThugsy

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Question about Healers
« on: December 07, 2023, 02:08:24 PM »
I've always wondered about the origina / genesis of the Rolemaster Healer.  I don't think I've ever encountered a similar idea.

I'm interested to hear / read any information or lore that people would be willing to share...

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Question about Healers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 04:21:46 PM »
Have you ever watched the classic Star Trek episode, The Empath?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 09:21:44 PM »
It's not exactly unprecedented. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EmpathicHealer
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 08:04:39 AM »
My fave example is Raven from The New Teen Titans, but yeah - its been around.

Offline nash

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 12:23:11 PM »
The weird thing about Rolemaster is that is a profession.   The weirder thing is that occasionally people even play them!

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 02:47:52 PM »
or how about an "evil healer"?

https://www.rolemasterblog.com/evil-healers/
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 04:06:39 PM »
I came up with a "Healer" as a combat profession.

They can't actually heal at all, not even themselves. What they *can* do is transfer a wound from someone, and magically "hold" it for opportunity fire (by touch) for up to 1 rd/level.

The downside is that if they aren't rid of it within that time, it's theirs forever... and they can't magically heal it. It's a religious restriction, so they can't get someone else to heal it for them either.

Variant of Monk, with a Channeling realm.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 12:57:55 AM »

They can't actually heal at all, not even themselves. What they *can* do is transfer a wound from someone, and magically "hold" it for opportunity fire (by touch) for up to 1 rd/level.

The downside is that if they aren't rid of it within that time, it's theirs forever... and they can't magically heal it. It's a religious restriction, so they can't get someone else to heal it for them either.

That very much sounds like one of the secondary characters of Super Powered (whom everyone thinks she's a healer, until she transfers back the wounds she absorbed). The major difference being, there is apparently no time limit for her, which is a bit OP... but hey, this is a superhero novel, not a fantasy RPG :)

I'm not sure how your idea would work in the field, though. The downside is potentially crippling, and it's like playing russian roulette with three bullets in the barrel, assuming you can't transfer back on a dead person (I won't even address the potential of transferring back on prisoners, because that would obviously work but would also obviously be torture).

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 08:53:44 AM »

This is a fun idea for a bad guy or group of bad guys.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 10:10:52 AM »
They didn't even have to be bad guys, they just had to be uber-fanatical.

I had it that the mere sight of one could rout an opposing force.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula